Young People on Boards – A Panel Discussion
Jan Stewart, CEO of Lotterywest, The Honourable Helen Morton, Minister for Mental Health and Disabilities and Matt Rutter, Chair of Volunteering WA make up this panel discussing the case for inclusion of young people on Boards. Some of the interesting points raised include:
- Aspiring young Board Directors need older advocates to connect with them and connect them with opportunities
- Younger Directors can bring diversity, challenge cultures, fresh ideas and innovation
- It’s important not to engage a token young person and perhaps Boards need to consider a couple of younger Board Directors
- Experiment with ‘audacious campaigns’ where you give a younger person an opportunity to run a project
- Nominations committees need to include younger applicants into the mix when considering new Board members. If they aren’t included in the consideration, they can’t be nominated or elected.
- Good orientation processes help new Board members feel welcome and valued
- Many organisations are giving their staff time to volunteer on a Board. It is a good development opportunity and doesn’t cost them money!
(Engaging Young Leaders on Aged Care Boards: Finding Potential Unconvention, February 2013).
BECOME A MEMBER
Receive our news, events and other special offers to your emailSIGN UP NOW
2021 ELGP Spring Participants revealed
In our ninth year of the program, we are delighted to reveal the participants of the 2021 Emerging Leaders in Governance program (ELGP) for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women and women from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. This incredible cohort joins the ELGP family with support from the Department of the Prime Minister and […]
Introducing our new Coaches for the Spring Program
We are excited to announce two coaches, Brooke O’Donnell and Grace Mugabe, who will be joining us for the ELGP Spring program for young women who identify as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander or from a culturally and linguistically diverse background. They will play an important support role during the program for participants. Find out […]
INTERVIEW WITH KATH SNELL, DIFFERENCE MAKERS AWARD WINNER
It is difficult to describe a person as dynamic as Kath Snell, more than a CEO she is a lifelong learner who is continually striving to make a positive impact in the lives of others. Sitting in a coffee shop on a chilly winter afternoon, Kath Snell and I sat down to talk about the […]