Young People on Boards – A Panel Discussion
Jan Stewart, CEO of Lotterywest, The Honourable Helen Morton, Minister for Mental Health and Disabilities and Matt Rutter, Chair of Volunteering WA make up this panel discussing the case for inclusion of young people on Boards. Some of the interesting points raised include:
- Aspiring young Board Directors need older advocates to connect with them and connect them with opportunities
- Younger Directors can bring diversity, challenge cultures, fresh ideas and innovation
- It’s important not to engage a token young person and perhaps Boards need to consider a couple of younger Board Directors
- Experiment with ‘audacious campaigns’ where you give a younger person an opportunity to run a project
- Nominations committees need to include younger applicants into the mix when considering new Board members. If they aren’t included in the consideration, they can’t be nominated or elected.
- Good orientation processes help new Board members feel welcome and valued
- Many organisations are giving their staff time to volunteer on a Board. It is a good development opportunity and doesn’t cost them money!
(Engaging Young Leaders on Aged Care Boards: Finding Potential Unconvention, February 2013).
BECOME A MEMBER
Receive our news, events and other special offers to your emailSIGN UP NOW
2021 ELGP Participants revealed
In our ninth year of the program, we are delighted to reveal the participants of the 2021 Emerging Leaders in Governance program (ELGP). Many of these participants are provided with scholarships to attend the program due to the funding provided by Community Partners. As you’ll read below, this group has exceptional professional skills and a […]
ELGP 2020 Projects
As part of the Emerging Leaders in Governance Program (ELGP) 2020, participants have worked in groups to produce these four exceptional projects on the subject of improving diversity in board governance. The topics covered are: A Digestible Guide on Risk Appetite for New Board Members Compose a More Effective Board Develop Strategies for a Successful […]
Annual Report Released: Our Achievements for 2020
Many thanks to our supportive Community Partners who make our Engaging Young Leaders on Aged Care and Community Boards (EYLACCB) program a reality, we are proud to share the program’s achievements for this year in our latest 2020 Annual Report. We acknowledge that the success of EYLACCB 2020 is due to the commitment and contribution from our Community Partners and supporters. This has been […]