Young People on Boards – A Panel Discussion
Jan Stewart, CEO of Lotterywest, The Honourable Helen Morton, Minister for Mental Health and Disabilities and Matt Rutter, Chair of Volunteering WA make up this panel discussing the case for inclusion of young people on Boards. Some of the interesting points raised include:
- Aspiring young Board Directors need older advocates to connect with them and connect them with opportunities
- Younger Directors can bring diversity, challenge cultures, fresh ideas and innovation
- It’s important not to engage a token young person and perhaps Boards need to consider a couple of younger Board Directors
- Experiment with ‘audacious campaigns’ where you give a younger person an opportunity to run a project
- Nominations committees need to include younger applicants into the mix when considering new Board members. If they aren’t included in the consideration, they can’t be nominated or elected.
- Good orientation processes help new Board members feel welcome and valued
- Many organisations are giving their staff time to volunteer on a Board. It is a good development opportunity and doesn’t cost them money!
(Engaging Young Leaders on Aged Care Boards: Finding Potential Unconvention, February 2013).
BECOME A MEMBER
Receive our news, events and other special offers to your emailSIGN UP NOW
ELGP 2021 PROJECT – BEHAVIORAL PROBLEMS ON BOARD
We are very proud of our ELGP 2021 graduates who have developed the exceptional project that explores the Behavioral Problems on Board. When you bring together a group of individuals who have different personalities, carry a variety of skill sets, and who come from different backgrounds, there are inevitably going to be challenges in how that […]
ELGP 2021 PROJECT – INVOLVEMENT OF THE BOARD IN DEVELOPING A VISION AND PURPOSE, AND CREATING A STRATEGY FOR A NON FOR PROFIT
Well done to our ELGP 2021 participants who have done an amazing job on preparing the project that explores the topic of Involvement of the Board in Developing a Vision and Purpose and Creating a Strategy for a Not for Profit. Having a strategic lens is one of the key functions of a Board Director, however a Board’s responsibility also extends to creating and embedding a vision, purpose and strategy. This e-book provides aspiring […]
ELGP 2021 PROJECT – MAKING DECISIONS ON BOARDS FOR EMERGING LEADERS IN GOVERNANCE
Our ELGP 2021 graduates project discussed the topic of decision-making on Boards for Emerging Leaders in Governance. The e-book created by our participants supports emerging leaders on aged care and community boards to make better decisions. For emerging leaders on a community board, making decisions can be a nerve wracking and daunting experience. This e-book provides useful tools and processes to build decision-making confidence. This is achieved through […]