Young People on Boards – A Panel Discussion
Jan Stewart, CEO of Lotterywest, The Honourable Helen Morton, Minister for Mental Health and Disabilities and Matt Rutter, Chair of Volunteering WA make up this panel discussing the case for inclusion of young people on Boards. Some of the interesting points raised include:
- Aspiring young Board Directors need older advocates to connect with them and connect them with opportunities
- Younger Directors can bring diversity, challenge cultures, fresh ideas and innovation
- It’s important not to engage a token young person and perhaps Boards need to consider a couple of younger Board Directors
- Experiment with ‘audacious campaigns’ where you give a younger person an opportunity to run a project
- Nominations committees need to include younger applicants into the mix when considering new Board members. If they aren’t included in the consideration, they can’t be nominated or elected.
- Good orientation processes help new Board members feel welcome and valued
- Many organisations are giving their staff time to volunteer on a Board. It is a good development opportunity and doesn’t cost them money!
(Engaging Young Leaders on Aged Care Boards: Finding Potential Unconvention, February 2013).
BECOME A MEMBER
Receive our news, events and other special offers to your emailSIGN UP NOW
Congratulations to the ELGP 2021 Graduates!
On May 5th, we congratulated the ELGP graduates of 2021 at a beautiful Graduation ceremony. Please find below their video snapshots of the program. Our young emerging leaders have also worked very hard to create four exceptional projects that will be added to the online resource toolkit. Please refer to the links below to download […]
2021 ELGP Participants revealed
In our ninth year of the program, we are delighted to reveal the participants of the 2021 Emerging Leaders in Governance program (ELGP). Many of these participants are provided with scholarships to attend the program due to the funding provided by Community Partners. As you’ll read below, this group has exceptional professional skills and a […]
ELGP 2020 Projects
As part of the Emerging Leaders in Governance Program (ELGP) 2020, participants have worked in groups to produce these four exceptional projects on the subject of improving diversity in board governance. The topics covered are: A Digestible Guide on Risk Appetite for New Board Members Compose a More Effective Board Develop Strategies for a Successful […]